Edinburgh's Areas

Learn about the history of Edinburgh's most famous streets and areas.

  • Holyrood Park

    Holyrood Park is a 650-acre park approximately 1 mile east of Edinburgh Castle with a dramatic landscape including several hills, cliffs, ridges, lochs and glens. Entering from the Newington district, one is dramatically confronted by the great rock masses of the Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat, the main peak of the group of hills towering over 800 ft above the city... more »
  • Princes Street Gardens

    The historical centre of Edinburgh is divided into two parts by the Princes Street Gardens, the best known park in Edinburgh and the first to claim the admiring interest of visitors. The gardens occupy the site of the old Nor' Loch, and fill the valley between the Rock and Princes Street... more »
  • The Royal Mile

    The Old Town is unquestionably the most interesting quarter of Edinburgh. And the heart of Old Edinburgh is the long and spacious thoroughfare extending from the Castle to Holyrood... more »
  • The Castle Hill

    Leaving the Esplanade, we enter the Castle Hill, up which state processions passed when the Castle was a royal residence and the meeting-place of the Old Scottish Parliament. Most of the old houses have disappeared... more »
  • The Lawnmarket

    The Lawnmarket is a short, steep street, primarily occupied by tourist shops. Originally it was part of the High Street... more »
  • Brodies Close

    Brodie's Close is named after its notorious resident Deacon Brodie, immortalised by R. L... more »
  • Lady Stairs House

    Reached either by James's Court or Wardrop's Court, is a mansion known as Lady stair's House. Built in 1622 by Sir William Gray of Pittendrum, whose initials, together with those of his wife, are above the doorway, the mansion was restored and presented to the city by Lord Rosebery... more »
  • The Old Tolbooth

    The site of the old Tolbooth of Edinburgh, Scott's "Heart of Midlothian," is a few yards to the west of St. Giles' Church, and is marked by special paving stones... more »
  • St Giles Church

    The walls of St. Giles' Church have witnessed some memorable scenes... more »
  • Edinburgh Old Town

    Edinburgh's Old Town is the oldest part of the city of Edinburgh, built around the Royal Mile, the main thoroughfare. Much of the original medieval street plan still exists as do many Reformation-era buildings... more »
  • Blackfriars Street

    Blackfriars Street (south side) led to the monastery of the Blackfriars, founded by Alexander II. in 1230... more »
  • John Knox House

    The picturesque and curiously gabled house projecting into the street on the north side is traditionally known as John Knox's House. During the greater part of the Reformer's stay in Edinburgh this building was occupied by James Mossman, goldsmith to Mary Queen of Scots, whose initials, together with those of his wife, Marriot Arres, are carved on the front of the building... more »
  • The Canongate

    The Canongate is a district of Edinburgh. The Canongate means the "way of the canons," or monks of Holyrood Abbey... more »
  • The Cowgate

    The "Cow - gait" (also known as the "Via Vaccarum" of Alexander Alesse in the early sixteenth century, and the "Platea Bovina" of Gordon of Rothiemay in the middle of the following century) proclaims its own origin and use. It was the road taken by the cows of the community, on the way between the meadows around St... more »