Home > Areas > The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

Previous page: Lady Stairs House

The site of the old Tolbooth of Edinburgh, Scott's "Heart of Midlothian," is a few yards to the west of St. Giles' Church, and is marked by special paving stones. The Tolbooth (demolished 1817) had a remarkable history, being at one time or another the meeting-place of the Parliament, the Privy Council, the College of Justice, and the Town Council; but it gathered most fame as a prison.

Next page: St Giles Church