The National Gallery of Scotland
The National Gallery of Scotland has housed some of Scotland's finest permanent art collections since it first opened its doors to the public in 1859. Situated on the mound between Princes Street Gardens, this neo-classical building is home to the largest collection of Scottish Sculptures and European paintings.
The building was originally designed by William Henry Playfair in the 19th Century but has since then undergone a number of changes. In 1912, William Thomas Oldieve remodelled the building, alongside the neighbouring Royal Scottish Academy building.
More recently in 2004, the Playfair project created an underground Plaza to connect these two wondrous pieces of Scottish architecture. The plazas location allows visitors to take the opportunity to witness the magnificent views of the historic Edinburgh castle and the retail capital of the city, Princes Street.