Home > Buildings > Canongate Church

Canongate Church

Previous page: Canongate Tolbooth

Canongate Church was built in 1688 for the parishioners who had formerly worshipped in the nave of the Abbey of Holyrood. In the churchyard (to the left of the entrance) are buried George Drummond, six times Lord Provost of Edinburgh, founder of the Royal Infirmary and other institutions; Adam Smith, author of The Wealth of Nations; Robert Fergusson, the poet, whose tombstone was erected by Burns; and Dugald Stewart, the philosopher, who has a classical monument on the Calton Hill.

To the right of the entrance are the graves of John Ballantyne, Scott's printer; Sir John Watson - Gordon, the portrait painter; Horatius Bonar, the hymn writer; and Mrs. Maclehose, the "Clarinda" of Burns.

Next page: The Castle and the Palace