Previous page: The Mercat Cross
Opposite the Mercat Cross, on the north side of High Street, is the Royal Exchange, in which, and in the flanking buildings, are housed the Town Council, and the municipal officials. Constructed in 1753-1761 at a cost of over £31,000, the Exchange, with its Italian facade, has in front a quadrangle, the south side of which consists of seven arches.
Near this spot stood the mansion of Sir Simon Preston of Craigmillar, Provost of Edinburgh, in the reign of Mary Queen of Scots.
From the back windows of the Exchange a magnificent view of the New Town, the Firth of Forth, and the uplands of Fife can be enjoyed.
Next page: Moray House